Recognition - at last!

I received some good news today: it seems I obtained a Masters Degree with First Class Honours from the University of Sheffield way back in 1995. This is exciting because, to the best of my knowledge I got no such thing. I passed but the flying colours were very much left folded up in the drawer - the student life being rather too much fun for any proper study on my part. [If my father reads this, I worked bloody hard, scarcely ever seeing the inside of a pub!]

More likely is that the good people of the university, when asked to confirm details of qualifications by ancient alumni such as I now am - charging them a crisp £20 for the privilege - don't actually look at the records, instead no doubt pulling up a proforma, giving it the once over and then sending it out largely unread.

Apparently, I 'passed all the necessary examinations' [I took none]. The Degree was conferred 'In Absentia' - a surprising revelation as I really enjoyed the graduation ceremony. To find out after all these years that I have been living a lie is frankly shocking.

What else is not true? Is my name really Andy? Was I, as I have always suspected, destined to be with Kylie, living a life of pampered, jet-setting luxury as long as I remained at her beck and call? Could I in fact be a famous nineteenth century female novelist rather too immersed in the plot of her latest potboiler for the gentrified middle-class ladies of her era?

I can be sure of nothing any more.

Thanks, The University of Sheffield, for shattering the world I have come to know. (But hey, thanks for the upgrade!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dig out your misplaced optimism, England, it's the World Cup!

The country's no place fer a mobile phone!

Farewell Lola, Scourge of the Cotswold Steppe!